With the beginning of 2020, I thought this would be a great opportunity to look back at and talk about what’s changed in the last decade in the world of advocacy.
The most obvious is the use of social media that has made our ability to advocate on issues from local to global much more inclusive, engaging and instantaneous. But does that type of advocacy really work? And by that I mean:
- Are political leaders really influenced?
- Is this influence affecting their decisions and votes?
- Are more people actually engaged and participating (consistently) in the advocacy process?
- Who are they and why are they getting involved?
- Are they aware of and influencing the “right” people (i.e. those in a position of power)?
All interesting questions that I’m going to explore over the next several weeks. I’ll also look at what hasn’t changed, and talk about some of the basic, fundamental principles of advocacy that still, and will always apply.
So I hope you will enjoy this exploration of advocacy and look forward to engaging in a dialogue that will help all of us be our best advocates in 2020!
Your Partner in Advocacy…Kathy