On this Columbus Day what better way to celebrate than by recognizing the courage and commitment of the man himself. Imagine the vision and unwavering belief he must have had to journey across the Atlantic in search of a new world. All while facing mounting ridicule at home. And to put it in his words…
“By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination.” Christopher Columbus*
As advocates, there are many lessons to be learned from Christopher Columbus, most especially the drive, determination and focus he had. And once the November election is over, the 2019 legislative session in Florida will approach very rapidly. Lawmakers will shift from campaign mode to filing bills.
And that means it’s time to shift your focus and determination on solidifying relationships and sharing your legislative priorities for the upcoming year. A great place to start is by mapping out your advocacy plan for the last quarter of 2018. Below are strategies to help you keep that focus until the end of the year.
- Make an appointment with yourself to review what you’ve done up to this point and evaluate the outcomes. Have they worked/not worked?
- If they’ve worked…congratulations! Move on to Step #3. If not, or if you have a newly elected representative, perhaps it’s time to go back to the basics and start with simple strategies to build/improve your relationship.
- Finalize your city’s, business or organization’s priorities for 2019, especially if they include a request for any state appropriations.
- Before the holiday rush ensues, make an appointment with legislators to review your priorities and talk about how you can work together in the upcoming session.
- If approprations are involved, sit down with their staff and talk about what information they need to make the request, and when they need it.
- Remember…the all important question. How can I help you? It goes a very long way in strengthening that relationship.
Stay focused, stay determined and by the time January gets here, you’ll be ready to forge ahead! Happy Columbus Day!
Your Partner in Advocacy…Kathy